The CKO is moving!

Click here to learn more

Billing to insurance companies

When it comes to invoicing patients/clients, regardless of their funding source, the principles of transparency and accuracy always apply to your billing practices. Your invoices must, at a minimum, include:

As a regulated health professional, you are responsible for services provided. Your R.Kin designation is the assurance to patients/clients that they are receiving service from a professional who is held responsible for their practice by a regulatory body.

The College would like to remind all R.Kins who bill directly to insurance companies that regardless of their area of practice (e.g. athletic therapy, osteopathy, pedorthics, etc.), they must use their R.Kin designation on all invoices. Other designations or certifications may be used on invoices if relevant. In cases where a particular service is listed by the insurance carrier as covered, and it is not listed as “kinesiology services”, you must still include your R.Kin designation on the invoice or receipt.

If you are registered in more than one regulated profession, you must bill according to the service provided and this must be clear to patients/clients. For example, if you are registered as a kinesiologist and a massage therapist, it must be clear to patients/clients which service you are billing for and you must use the appropriate designation.

Providing your R.Kin designation and registration number on an invoice is necessary for a patient/client to have if they want the service covered by insurance. This enables the payor to verify your credentials with the College and provides assurances that you are held to professional standards. Insurance companies frequently contact the College to verify a practitioner’s registration status.

For more information, view the Practice Standard- Fees and Billing and the Practice Guideline- Fees and Billing.