Documenting and invoicing third parties and clients

Kinesiologists work in many different settings and provide a variety of services. The context in which you are providing services will help determine the type of documentation required and how invoices are prepared and submitted.

Below are some resources and reminders about billing.


Kinesiologists are authorized to provide certain Programs of Care (POCs) through WSIB that fall within the kinesiology scope of practice, such as POCs for lower back and musculoskeletal injuries. There are several resources for kinesiologists who provide and bill for services through WSIB. Visit the WSIB website.


Kinesiologists are also authorized to carry out a treatment plan through HCAI for someone who has been injured as a result of a motor vehicle accident. The most common forms kinesiologists use are the OCF-18 and the OCF-21. The OCF-18 is the Treatment and Assessment Plan, and kinesiologists can sign off on Part 5, but NOT Part 4. It may happen that a client seeks out a kinesiologist first; in this case, the kinesiologist can sign Part 5 and then send it to the appropriate professional to sign Part 4. While Part 4 does not need to be signed before Part 5, both sections need to be signed before the OCF-18 is submitted through HCAI. Kinesiologists can conduct an assessment, prescribe a treatment plan and carry out that treatment plan independently once Part 4 has been signed. For more information, review HCAI’s guideline.

If you are working within WSIB or HCAI, or any other statutory third party payor, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are fulfilling the documentation and billing requirements of that payor properly. The College cannot provide specific guidance or advice and may not always be aware of changes made to these claim systems or that of any other insurance provider. You must ensure that you are up-to-date on these and any other practice matters. If you have more specific questions, it is always advisable to contact the applicable payor directly.

Direct client billing

Regardless of whether you are billing through a statutory system or billing clients directly, the principles of transparency and accuracy always apply. When billing clients directly your invoices must, at a minimum, include:

Ensuring your R.Kin designation and registration number are on the invoice is important information for a client to have if they are attempting to have the service covered by a third party insurer.

While kinesiology services are not covered under OHIP, they are tax deductible (if they reach a certain minimum). Even in cases where a client does not have coverage for kinesiology, you can let them know to retain all receipts for income tax purposes.

For more information, you can review the College’s Practice Standard- Fees and Billing and the Practice Guideline- Fees and Billing.