On November 20, 2020, the Ontario Government announced that Toronto and Peel Region (Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon) will move into the grey zone (i.e. lockdown) of the province’s COVID-19 framework.
Effective 12:01 a.m. on Monday, November 23, 2020, gyms and fitness centres in Toronto and Peel must close for 28 days, among other restrictions.
These restrictions only apply to kinesiologists who own/operate or work at a facility for indoor sports and indoor recreational fitness activities. If a kinesiologist owns such a facility and wishes to use the space for one client at a time (i.e. no indoor group classes or multiple clients at time), this is permitted so long as the College’s guidance is followed. You can provide services virtually or outdoors (weather permitting).
General COVID-19 reminders
All kinesiologists are reminded to review the College’s COVID-19 resources. Below are some useful reminders:
- Screen patients/clients at the time of booking and on the day of appointment. Consider virtual care as an option, particularly if a patient/client screens positive for exposure to the virus or is at risk of complications should they contract COVID-19.
- Always wear a mask and other appropriate PPE.
- Wash your hands with soap or use a Health Canada approved sanitizer before and after each patient/client interaction and when putting on and taking off PPE.
- Clean and disinfect all patient/client contact surfaces after each use.
- Regularly clean and disinfect all high-touch surfaces in your place of employment, such as reception and break room surfaces.
We understand that this is a challenging time, and that guidance is changing quickly. We appreciate your patience as we monitor and interpret guidance and, most importantly, your unwavering commitment to providing safe care to your patients/clients.
If you have any questions, please contact Danielle Lawrence, the College’s Practice Advisor, via email.