Share your experience on CKO's website!

Take a short survey

FAQs- Funding for Therapy and Counselling

The College maintains a fund to pay for therapy or counselling for individuals who have been subject to sexual misconduct by a kinesiologist while they were a patient/client. The fund is administered according to rules set out in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 (RHPA). The College’s Patient Relations Committee reviews applications for funding and makes decisions about eligibility and other matters.

The College is committed to treating individuals reporting allegations of sexual abuse with sensitivity, empathy and respect, and to providing guidance and support throughout the investigation, review and hearing process.

You are eligible for funding if you:

  • have filed a complaint with the College alleging sexual abuse by a kinesiologist that occurred while you were a patient/client; or
  • are part of a Registrar’s investigation into whether you were sexually abused by a kinesiologist while you were a patient/client.

“Sexual abuse” is a legally defined term and includes a wide variety of sexual misconduct, including sexual activity, touching, and commentary by a kinesiologist towards a patient/client.


No. The College does require basic information about the therapist/counsellor, such as their name and contact information, the fees they charge, and the dates and times of service to provide reimbursement.

You are free to select your own therapist or counsellor, subject to the following limitations. The therapist/counsellor cannot:

  • be a member of your family.
  • have been found guilty of professional misconduct of a sexual nature, or been found civilly or criminally liable for an act of a similar nature.

Although the College strongly recommends that you seek therapy/counselling from regulated health professionals, such as physicians/psychiatrists, psychologists, or psychotherapists, this is not a requirement to receive funding. If the therapist/counsellor is not a regulated health professional, you must sign an acknowledgement that you understand the therapist/counsellor is not subject to oversight and discipline by a regulatory body.

The amount of funding provided is tied to the actual cost of therapy/counselling received, subject to a maximum amount set out in the RHPA. As of January 1, 2019, the maximum eligible amount is approximately $16,000. The exact amount of funding provided will depend on the specific circumstances of the case and may be adjusted to reflect the reasonable and customary fees charged for therapy/counselling.

If there is another source of funds to cover the cost of therapy/counselling, such as the Ontario Health Insurance Plan or a private insurer, the amounts provided by the College will be reduced to reflect these other sources of funding.

All funding is provided by the College directly to the therapist or counsellor based on invoiced amounts. The College is prohibited from making payment directly to the individual receiving therapy/counselling.

No. The funding provided by the College can only be used to pay for therapy or counselling. The funding cannot be used directly or indirectly for any other purpose.
The College provides other supports for individuals participating in a disciplinary hearing relating to allegations of sexual abuse, such as covering costs for travel, accommodation and childcare expenses during the hearing.

Yes. The RHPA states that funding can be provided for a maximum of five years from the date on which the individual first received funding for therapy or counselling after the alleged sexual abuse took place, or five years from the date on which the individual became eligible for funding.

While the College understands that reporting allegations of sexual abuse can be difficult, the College encourages potential applicants to contact the College as soon as they are able to do so.

Yes. The therapy/counselling must have been provided after the incidents of sexual misconduct by a kinesiologist took place and the remaining eligibility criteria must also be met.

As the College is prohibited from making payment directly to you, retroactive funding can only be provided where the original therapist/counsellor agrees to provide you with a refund and seek reimbursement from the College.

If you would like to apply for funding, contact the College at (416) 961-7000 or via email for more information or complete the application form found on the “Understanding Sexual Abuse” section of the College’s website.